Introduction

This last month has been very interesting. In October of this year after several days of intense pain in my hands and wrists and other areas I went to my pcp. He checked me out and did some tests strength tests as well as taken some blood tests. It wasn't until the 24th of October when I got a call from Dr. Spanolios informing me that he had to be somewhat certain that there is strong possibility for lupus. He told me the blood tests all thought not definitive it was likely a strong case for lupus. He went into the explanation of what the tests were which I later looked up and said they were high. He wanted me to see a Rheumatologist. He sent my records to Victor Martin. With in the week I had an appointment to see him and it would be for November 9.

What is Lupus? According to the Lupus Foundation of America Lupus is a chronic Inflamatory disease that can effect different organs of the body especially the skin, joints, Blood, and kidneys. The immune system can't tell the difference between the good stuff and bad stuff in your body.
I had been sent some forms the patient confidentiality and the history and I finally got it out to them by three days before the actual appointment. When the actual appointment day arrived it was raining and I was late. Mom was waiting and shortly after I arrived I Had to fill out the papers and then was taken in to get weighed and measured and had vitals taken. Mom had been surprised she thought it was high (140/70) and the nurse explained new guidelines.

After that we were introduced to the Dr and brought into his office. He went through all the various questions. Symptoms, illnesses and the history. He could tell just by looking at me that I had lupus. The hands were swollen and indicative of lupus as well as the rash on my face. He also reiterated that the numbers (or results from the tests) were indicative of lupus.

After awhile he did some more tests (feeling my stomach area, moving my limbs around etc.) he gave me a prescription for prednosonel and some pamphlets on them to read. He said he want's to see me in two weeks. He was very good. If we had questions we were told to call him. Oh and of course I had to take more blood tests which I did that day. I still have the black and blue mark from that.

The night I came home from the appointment I went and did a search on lupus and came across a site that is sponsored (I believe) by the Arthritis foundation and it pretty much had the same info.

MOm has concerns about the medication having a negative affect (like it causes to gain weight) and she realy is encouraging me to deal iwth the weight problem. Perhaps see a nutritionist. She also let our dentist know and the one question is : "Will I need antibiotics when getting my teeth worked on". Debra wants to know if there will be mood swings with the steroids.

The food today:

half dozen cookies-vanilla oreo cookies
2 cups of coffee with milk and sweetner (total 4 sweetners)

lunch I had cherios and milk
Apple passion fruit juice

tea with sweetner and milk

1 baked apple

Well we had dinner of spiced lean pork, salad, milk, and asperagus with grated parmigian cheese. I had a an oil and vinegar w/basil salad dressing which made it very good.

I had also some rice pudding that mom made afew days ago and it was delicious. It was enough for a custard dish.

Well what I was feeling today was on target. My wrists were achy a little bit this evening. Since this is the forth day of the steriods I have one more dose and that's at bed time. Tomorrow is the fifth day and have two doses. After Tuesday that will be it until I see Dr Martin.

I am just checking in. I hve been getting a lot of support from friends this evening. Talked to Dottie Brower and she was asking questions and fo course making observations about my nutrition intake and gave me suggestions as well.

Earlier today Mom gave me to some books to read and I haven't started them yet. One is Leo Buscagli entitled Living, loving, and Learning. I am not so sure if that has anything to do with medicine but I suspect in what he was trying to do it does some how. The other one was from Bernie Siegal from Yale University. It is entitled Love, Medicine, & miracles. Not exactly sure what that is.

Well my pinky finger on the left hand is a bit achy so I am going to stop typing and go to bed.

Comments

Hawk said…
Hey Katie. Thought I would drop by and lend you my support. Keep smiling...

Hugs,
Hawk
Kate said…
Thank you both for your friendship and support...I cherish it very much...

Popular Posts